As scientific research increases our knowledge of the human genome and the brain, the number of people identified with a specific condition that may lead to learning difficulties/disabilities will continue to grow.
Here are two of the most common genetic disorders that include learning disabilities.
A genetic condition caused by the presence of an extra chromosome in the body's cells. Down's syndrome is not a disease, and it is not a hereditary condition. It occurs by chance at conception.
One of the most common inherited causes of intellectual impairment, and the most common known genetic cause of autism.
Features usually include:
- Mental impairment, ranging from learning disabilities to mental retardation
- Attention deficit and hyperactivity
- Anxiety and unstable mood
- Autistic behaviours
- Long face, large ears, flat feet
- Hyperextensible joints, especially fingers
- Seizures (epilepsy) affect about 25% of people with Fragile X
Find out more
Discover how Mindroom's unique Direct Help & Support service can help you.