We've put together a selection of websites that we think might be of interest to parents, carers and children affected by learning difficulties. If you think we are missing a useful website, please let us know.
Ideas for activities, holidays and respite
- Heart n Soul Dynamic arts for people with learning difficulties
- Drake Music Enabling disabled people to make music
- Riding for the Disabled Association
- The Happy Club Opportunities to participate in socialising, sports and arts to suit all abilities
- The Yard Edinburgh based play opportunities
- Canoe England has drawn together a range of case studies about how a range of people with differing disabilities have accessed Paddlesport activity. They provide registered Sports Coaches with access to a wide range of articles, fact sheets and resources to develop their knowledge and understanding of working with disabled athletes.
Other organisations and associations providing support
- British Institute of Learning Difficulties
- Developmental Adult Neuro-Diversity Association
- for Scotland's disabled children Bridging the gap between good intentions and better lives
- National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence
- Royal National Institute for the Blind
- Shaw Trust Supporting disabled and disadvantaged people to prepare for work, find jobs and live more independently
- Scottish Attachment in Action Promoting better experiences of attachment in the Scottish population and effecting positive changes in social policy, education and mental health
- Capability Scotland
- Contact a family Supporting the families of disabled children
- Lothian Centre for Inclusive Living
- Scottish Consortium for learning disability
- Parentline Scotland Free helpline and email service for anyone with a concern about a child
Support for bullying
Legislation, guidance and advocacy
- Additional Support for Learning Health Inclusion Project
- Additional Support Needs Tribunal for Scotland
- Kindred Advocacy and information on services available to children with additional support needs and their carers
- Children in the Highlands Information Point Accurate, up to date and accessible information to the families of children and young people with additional needs of any kind
- Scottish Children's Services Coalition
Practical help for parents
- Box of Ideas Ideas, guidance and information on everything from early years to further education and employment
- Apps for Dyslexia and Learning Disabilities An extensive and meticulously organized list of apps that may be helpful to individuals with learning difficulties.
- Capr-Style Handmade adaptive clothing for those with additional support needs. Designed for children and young people with disabilities and special needs.
- A-Z of attachment and resilience. Practical guidance on building resilience, produced by South Lanarkshire Council educational psychological services.
- Autism Network Scotland. The Menu of Interventions local resource pages contains information on local services provided by community members, parents, carers, practitioners, and people on the spectrum.
Please note: The Salvesen Mindroom Centre is not responsible for the content of third-party websites. By clicking on a third-party link, you will leave the Mindroom website. Privacy and security policies may differ from those practiced by Mindroom.